Smoky, Sweet Chili
Submitted by Sam, Red Deer
Original recipe by Iowa Girl Eats
This recipe is great to make-ahead in a crock pot, or for those who like a good amount of flavour! The secret to this chili is in the sauce. No, really.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small white onion, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- salt and pepper
- 1 large can tomato sauce
- 1 x 15oz can of baked beans
- 1 x 15oz can black beans, kidney beans, or a bean blend, rinsed and drained
- 3 tbsp chili powder
- 1-2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder or onion soup mix
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- Brown ground beef, onion and garlic in a large skillet over medium high heat, seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Add the remaining ingredients, stir until well-mixed.
- Simmer for 30-35 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Ladle chili into bowls and top with your favorite toppings!
To make in your crock pot, follow steps 1 & 2, and then set to cook on low heat for 6 hours.
- Shredded cheese
- Green Onions
- Lime zest
- Hot Sauce
- Sour cream
- Tortilla strips